Sunday, August 21, 2011

Hawthorn Hawks Footy Cake

Hawks Footy Birthday Cake

After the success of Elmo Cake and Elmo Cupcake, My good friend/ Colleague requested me to make a birthday cake for his son's 18th Birthday. His son is a big fan of Hawks and the theme for his birthday is going to be a footy theme as he shared his party with his friend as well.  Being almost 14 years in Australia, I know very little about footy and they are a very big influence of Australian Sports. Oh, shame on me.. All I know at the moment about Hawks is they are doing very well close to the grand final in a few weeks time.  Well done Hawks!

Hawks Footy Birthday Cake

I am very excited to make this Hawthorn cake as this is my first paid cake order (My next few blogs will be more about cakes and cupcakes ordered from friends/ colleagues). I gave my colleague few options and he choose this one. One of my favourite too! He requested for chocolate mud cake for the base of the cake, so I used the same Mud Cake recipe as Elmo Cake and ganache recipe from Winnie The Pooh Cake. Hubby gave me a few ideas as well to make this cake more interesting such as using the sugar cookies for the Hawks logo and the letters. I am very lucky to have a husband who assist me with the shaping the logo of Sugar Cookies and the cake process.

Hawks Footy Birthday Cake

I made 2 batches of Mud Cake using the 22x27 cm cake tin. The original recipe for mud cake I used for Elmo Cake is for 22 cm cake tin. It was very exciting process and always looking forward to come home after work to prep the cake.

Thank You again for my friends and colleagues who ordered cakes and cupcakes from me and gave me the opportunity for exciting challenge every week. Drop me an email, flamingpot10@gmail.com if you'd like me to make the cake for special occasion. Looking forward for more orders in the future!

Hawtorn Footy Cake

Hawks Footy Birthday Cake

Dark Chocolate Mud Cake
(Made 2 batch for 22x27 cm Cake Tin)

Ingredients
220g Butter
220g Dark Chocolate, chopped
25g Coffee Granules
125g Self Raising Flour
125g Plain Flour
50g Unsweetened Cocoa Powder
1/2 teaspoon Bicarbonate of Soda
480g Caster Sugar
4 Eggs, lightly beaten
7 teaspoon Vegetable Oil
100ml Buttermilk

Method
1. Preheat the oven to 160ºC. Grease the tin and line the base and sides with baking paper that extends 2cm above the top of the tin.

2. Put the butter, chocolate and coffee in a saucepan with 160ml water and stir over low heat until melted, then remove from the heat.

3. Stir the flours, cocoa, and bicarbonate of soda into a large bowl. Stir in the sugar and make well in the centre. Add the combined egg, oil and buttermilk and the chocolate mixture, stirring with a large spoon until completely combined.

4. Pour the mixture into the tin and bake for 1 hour 30 minutes or until skewer poked into the centre of the cake comes out clean. Leave the cake in the tin until cold. 

Sugar Cookies

Hawks Footy Birthday Cake

Ingredients
350g Butter, Softened
450g Caster Sugar
4 Eggs
1 teaspoon Vanilla Extract
625g Plain Flour
2 teaspoon Baking Powder
1 teaspoon Salt


Method
1. In a large bowl, cream together butter and sugar until smooth. Beat in eggs and vanilla. Stir in the flour, baking powder and salt. Cover and chill dough for at least an hour or overnight.


2. Preheat oven to 200ºC. Roll out dough on floured surface to 1/4 to 1/2 thick. Cut into shapes with cookie cutter. Place cookies one inch apart on ungreased cookie sheets.


Hubby helped me printed the template for Hawks jerseys and assist me in cutting the dough for Hawks logo.
Hawks Footy Birthday Cake

Hawks Footy Birthday Cake

Hawks Footy Birthday Cake

3. Bake to 6 to 8 minutes in preheated oven. Cool completely.

Hawks Footy Birthday Cake


Buttercream Frosting

Ingredients
500g Icing Sugar
160g Unsalted Butter, at room temperature
50ml Whole Milk
a Couple of Drops of Vanilla Extract
Food Colouring (Brown and Golden Yellow)

Method
1  Beat the icing sugar and butter together in a freestanding electric mixer with a paddle attachment on medium slow speed until mixture comes together and is well mixed. Turn the mixer down to slow speed.

2. Combine the milk and vanilla extract in a separate bowl, then add to the butter mixture a couple of tablespoon at a time. Once the milk has been incorporated, add the food colouring and turn the mixer up to high speed. Continue beating until the frosting is light and fluffy at least 5 minutes. The longer the frosting is beaten, the fluffier and lighter it becomes.



How to Assemble

Hawks Footy Birthday Cake

1. Once you have the cakes, sugar cookies, buttercream frosting, Ganache ready. Start cutting the cake into shape like Sport Jersey.

flamingpot_hawks_8253

2. Start Ganaching the cake. Once the ganache is set hard, start the piping process.

Hawks Footy Birthday Cake

Happy 18th Birthday, Michael!

Hawthorn Footy Cake

4 comments :

  1. Absolutely stunning! I think I like this one better than the Elmo cake!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank You Ann..:)) You're very sweet..:)) Your comments means a lot to me..:)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wow! I love how your letters turned out!

    ReplyDelete

Comments are moderated and will be published ASAP. If you are viewing this on your phone, you might have to click the Preview button before posting your comment.

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...