Monday, May 16, 2011

What is Indonesian Food?

The making of Martabak Manis

People occasionally asked me a random questions "What's Indonesian food?" and my first thought was "Where should I begin? Savoury food? Sweets? Snacks?" Well, I say no more..  Here are roughly ideas of Indonesian food that I love the most and always make sure that I never missed them whenever I go back to my hometown.. Oh gosh.. I have huge craving while editing these photos..


Kepiting Saos Padang

Let me first introduce you with Indonesian Seafood. We call this dish "Kepiting Saos Padang" which means "Crab with Padang Sauce". Padang is the capital city of West Sumatra Province and this spicy dish is very famous in the region as well as seafood restaurant in the country.


Kepiting Soka- Indonesian Soft Shell Crab

"Kepiting Soka" or "Soft Shell Crab". I never have enough of them, unfortunately..


Ikan Bakar- Indonesian Grilled Fish

Ok, enough with the crabs.. Let's move on to one of mouthwatering dish called "Ikan Bakar"or "Grilled Fish". You must eat this Grilled Fish with "Sambal" or "Chilli Sauce" to make them more interesting..


Ikan Gurame- Fish

We call this dish "Ikan Gurame" or "Fried Fish". It was one interesting presentation, I must say.


Udang Goreng Mentega

This dish is my childhood meal. My mum cooked the best Fried Prawn with butter sauce or we usually call "Udang Goreng Mentega"


Sop Buntut Goreng- Fried Oxtail Soup

My brother in law took us to the most delicious street food, Fried Oxtail Soup.. Oh yum.. Hubby went for second..


Nasi Goreng Iga (Indonesian Fried Rice with Beef Ribs)

Okay, Let's move on to the next dish, "Nasi Goreng Iga" or "Fried Rice with Beef Ribs"


Nasi Uduk

The famous "Nasi Uduk" or "Scented Coconut Rice". This dish is very well known in Indonesia especially in my hometown, Jakarta. We usually eat the coconut rice with fried chicken, satay, tempeh, tofu and chilli.


Mie Ayam

There are many versions of "Mie Ayam" or "Chicken Noodle" in Indonesia. Love this street food and hubby never miss this whenever we are in town.


Siomay- Indonesian Dumplings

This is my old time favourite dish, "Siomai Bandung" or "Steam dumplings with Peanut Sauce".  Love the technology these days, with just one phone call away, this lovely man, Benni, showed up on my parents in law's doorstep and apparently they have been loyal customers for years.


Siomay Bandung - Indonesian Dumplings with Peanut Sauce

Let me take you a little closer, the mouthwatering "Siomay Bandung" or "Steam Dumplings with Peanut Sauce".


Siomay- Indonesian Dumplings

Another version of "Siomay" or "Indonesian Steamed Dumplings".


Martabak Manis- Indonesian Sweet Pancake

Okay, we have enough of savoury dishes, Let's move on to Sweets. This famous Indonesian sweets called "Martabak Manis" or "Sweet Thick Pancake". I must warn you though, this is not very healthy dish as they use lots and lots of butter and condense milk. Yet, this one sweet dish I can not miss and I love the most.


Martabak Manis Tipis- Indonesian Sweet Pancake (Thin Layer)

This is another style of "Indonesian Sweet Pancake/ Crepes". I still love the thick layer better.


The making of Martabak Manis (Sweet Indonesian Pancake)

In case you are wondering the making of this delicious "Martabak Manis"or "Indonesian Sweet thick Pancake". I wasn't joking when I said this is not a healthy dish. Oh yum...


Ropita

The other famous street food "Roti Kornet Keju" or "Corned Beef with generous cheese on Toast".


Es Shanghai

The refreshing "Es Shanghai" or "Ice with mix of everything (e.g. grass jelly, avocado, jackfruit, slice coconut, condense milk".


Cendol

Hubby's favourite drink, es Cendol


Batok Kelapa- Coconut

Or Do you prefer some Coconut Juice?


Fish

While we were in the seafood restaurant, I found this unusual fish with 2 eyes on the side and just plain on the other side. I am not really sure what this is called in English, Do you have any idea? 

12 comments :

  1. Wow, now that is an introduction to Indonesian food! It all looks amazing, I'd have trouble picking one or two things to try if I was there.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Are you kidding me?? You put these photos up and NOT expect me to be clawing at my screen figuring how to eat it? =) Gorgeous!

    ReplyDelete
  3. YUM... I really missed siomay bandung! Btw, love your blog, we should eat together sometimes.. :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. LOVE Indonesian food....makes me miss it more. One of my favorite cuisines in the world

    ReplyDelete
  5. Great post Paula. Now I finally know a bit more about Indonesian food. I love the look of the crab. Looks super delicious.

    ReplyDelete
  6. the bottom fish looks like a flounder

    ReplyDelete
  7. Awesome post - it all looks so good! :D

    ReplyDelete
  8. YUM, I've had the Martabak and the sweet crepes before, and they were delicious! How I wish we could find those here in Melbourne :(

    ReplyDelete
  9. Thank You guys..:)) i'm happy to share my bit about Indonesian food..:))

    ReplyDelete
  10. Yum Yum Yum!!!!!! Kennet the greatest? surelyyy hauahauah! Good job pauly!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Random question: Is the place where you had Mie Ayam pretty close to Kelapa Gading? say.. 20 minutes drive?

    ReplyDelete
  12. Nope.. The "Mie Ayam" place is located around Gajah Mada/ Glodok area..

    ReplyDelete

Comments are moderated and will be published ASAP. If you are viewing this on your phone, you might have to click the Preview button before posting your comment.

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...