Sunday, July 17, 2011

Indonesian Layer Cake (Kue Lapis Legit)

Indonesian Layered Cake - Kue Lapis Legit

I admire this cake to bits since I was growing up. When I was living back home in Indonesia, I remember asking my mum about the unique of this cake that make the baker charge them quite expensive. She said the time consuming of making this beautiful layer cake is one of the factor. Well, I can now totally understand the reason behind them, I spent 4 hours to make this cake but I can tell you that is all worth it! Love the spice aroma that comes from this cake, they just bring back to my childhood memories..

However, my mum mentioned on my last trip to Indonesia early this year that they are now making this cake in pandan flavour! oohh Imagine that.. If you have been following me from the beginning, you may aware that I have big addiction to Pandan leaf. My mum made an attempt to buy the layer cake in Pandan flavour for me on my last visit but apparently they are selling really fast and we had to order far in advance. I guess this would add to my things to do list on my next visit to my hometown.

So, here they are, I present you the original flavour of Layer Cake (Kue Lapis Legit).

Indonesian Layer Cake (Kue Lapis Legit)

Indonesian Layered Cake - Kue Lapis Legit

Ingredients
6 Egg Whites
15 Egg Yolks
250g Icing Sugar, sifted
390g Dutch Butter
120g Plain Flour
1/2 teaspoon Baking Powder
2 teaspoon Five Spice Powder (Bumbu Spekoek)
3 tablespoon Condensed Milk


Method
1. Preheat oven to 180ยบ and grease 20-22 cm square cake tin.


2. Whisk Egg Whites to soft peak. Gradually Add Icing Sugar till stiff peaks form. 

Indonesian Layered Cake - Kue Lapis Legit

3. Add Egg yolks one at a time, beating well between each yolk. Add butter and condensed milk,  beat till well incorporated.


4. Sift the flour, baking powder and five spice powder together. Fold the flour mixture into batches.

Indonesian Layered Cake - Kue Lapis Legit

5. Put about a third of a cup of the cake mixture onto the base of the cake tin and spread it evenly over the base. Place in oven and bake for about 5-7 minutes until golden brown.


6. Turn the oven to grill function. Add another third cup of the cake mixture for the second layer. Repeat the same process and keep going until you have finished all the batter.

Indonesian Layered Cake - Kue Lapis Legit

10 comments :

  1. Such an impressive looking cake and i love the presentation of it too :) Looks gorgeous and so tasty! Lovely post

    ReplyDelete
  2. What is dutch butter?

    ReplyDelete
  3. I used this kind of Dutch Butter
    http://www.shoptheeast.com/1838-2527-large/hj-wijsman-and-zonen-preserved-dutch-butter-705-oz.jpg

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh I don't have these very often, but they are delicious... and yours look great!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hi Paula,

    Have been quietly admiring your food creations and really must praise your patience with this Indonesian layer Cake which is known for its time consuming method!!!! Remember one of my daughters trying out this cake many many years ago and have never dared try it again because she said it was very time consuming!!! Maybe I should show her your cake again and ask her to give it another go ! These days if we ever crave for this cake we usually get it from a nyonya restaurant and the price is not cheap too!!!!!

    If I can still remember my Indonesian Layer Cake recipe hasn't got DUTCH Butter in it . Just wonder what is the difference between DUTCH butter and ordinary butter ?

    Keep up the good work Paula !!!! And happy cooking !!!!

    Cheers,
    Judy Lim

    ReplyDelete
  6. As far as I can see there isn't a difference between salted butter and dutch butter (other than dutch butter is in a can)

    ReplyDelete
  7. @Anonymous: The traditional indonesian layer cake normally used dutch butter as they will give the great aroma to the cake but by all means you can always use any kind of salted or unsalted butter if you wish..

    @Mrs Lim: Thanks for your compliments.. You are absolutely right they are pretty time consuming making this layer cake but I can tell you it's worth it.. With the butter, you can always use other kind of butter.. Dutch butter will give the great aroma to the cake, they cost bit more expensive too and as far as the the cake will turn out, they won't make any difference if you are using any kind of butter.. Let me know if there's anything I can explain more.. :))

    ReplyDelete
  8. Thanks Paula. Will certainly call on you for more help.
    Looking forward to more creations from your kitchen!

    love,
    Judy Lim

    ReplyDelete
  9. This cake caught my eye on Foodgawker, since I'm Dutch Indonesian. I can wait to make this and present it to my parents!

    ReplyDelete
  10. 'Ello! Just stumbled upon this on Kitchen Artistry. Looks perfect for a cold rainy day or picnic by the river! Bookmarking this...thanks!! :D

    ReplyDelete

Comments are moderated and will be published ASAP. If you are viewing this on your phone, you might have to click the Preview button before posting your comment.

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...