Sunday, November 14, 2010

Mini Lemon Meringue Pies

(Adapted from Australian Good Food Magazine, November 2010 Edition)

Lemon Merigue

I've been abandoned my little blog after having a rough week with minor car accident and hubby's swollen foot. Hubby is feeling much better now and our car will be on the repair soon. Well, at least things are sorted bit by bit and it's time for me to reunite with my blog. Last but certainly not least,  I deserve something sweet to end the week. 

I was flicking through on November Issues, Australian Good Food Magazine and this Mini Lemon Meringue Pie caught my attention. It's cute, sweet and only need 4 ingredients. We have a lemon tree growing numerously on our backyard at this time of the year, which normally we give away to our friends or neighbor.

I made some amendment on the last step of the recipe. According to the magazine gas blow torch was mentioned to brown the tops of the meringue. Unfortunately, I don't own one in my kitchen, instead I put them in the oven for few minutes. I must admit that I didn't achieve the brown color on the top of the meringue, I wish I have one of this gadget at this stage. Well, as time is approaching close to Christmas, I could add gas blow torch along with ice cream machine on my christmas wish list.


Mini Lemon Meringue Pies

Ingredients

Lemon Curd
250g Caster Sugar
125g Unsalted Butter
Finely Grated rind of 4 Lemons, plus 250ml Lemon Juice
4 Eggs, lightly beaten

Meringue
3 Egg Whites
165 g Caster Sugar

Method
1. Preheat the oven to 120ยบ C. Meanwhile, combine sugar, butter, lemon rind and juice in a heatproof bowl. Set over a pan in simmering water on medium-low heat. Stir until butter melts. Remove from heat. Cool for 10 minutes. Add eggs and cook, stirring constantly, over pan of barely simmering water on low heat for 15 minutes, or until curd thickens and coats back of a spoon.

Lemon Merigue

2. Strain into a jug and divide between 1/4 cup capacity of each shot glasses. Chill for 30 minutes.

Lemon Merigue

3. To make meringue, using an electric mixer, beat egg whites until soft peaks form. Add sugar, 1 tablespoon at a time, beating constantly until thick and glossy. Spoon into pipping bag fitted with a 5 mm round nozzle. 

Lemon Merigue

4. Bake for 10-15 minutes. Leave in the switched-off oven for 30 to 45 minutes to dry and cool completely.

Lemon Merigue

How can I resist this sweet temptation?

Lemon Merigue

12 comments :

  1. Oh they look so gorgeous!
    Hope your car is fixed soon and hubby's foot returns to normal. Nothing wrong with a sweet treat to end the week!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you for your sweet compliment:)) Things are slowly getting back to normal..

    ReplyDelete
  3. Okay, those are utterly adorable! I have to make these! Sorry about your rough week, I hope your husband heals quickly.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Sorry to hear about the accident but glad to hear that you are both OK. These are so adorable! They look delicious too, I am craving one now :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. What a wonderful little treat (sounds like you deserve it!). Must be wonderful to have fresh lemons at your disposal.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Oh Paula hope your car gets fixed soon and hubby gets better soon. These little lemon meringue pies look incredible!! I need to attempt to make these.. looks so yummy. I want!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Thank You guys for your compliment and concern.. :) We are fortunately okay and things are slowly going back to normal this week.. Thank god..:)

    ReplyDelete
  8. Squee, they're like cute little shots of lemon meringue deliciousness.
    Sorry to hear about the accident. Hope it's all ok.

    ReplyDelete
  9. these look delish and those meringue swirls look so perfect

    ReplyDelete
  10. Delicious dessert. Thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  11. i used to make the meringue. but it's not form until soft peak.instead, half of the white egg still in liquid form. can you share your tips how to make a perfect meringue?

    ReplyDelete

Comments are moderated and will be published ASAP. If you are viewing this on your phone, you might have to click the Preview button before posting your comment.

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...