Sunday, January 30, 2011

Citrus Poppy Seed Syrup Cake with Lemon Icing

Citrus Poppy Seed Cake

I am now officially on my 4 weeks holiday. Yet, I have backlog of food blogging stuff that I haven't shared with you as I was busy with work and lots of to do list before we went on holiday. Today we are just relaxing at my in law's house, so I have all time in the world to catch up with my blog. Finally, yay....

What do I love the most about this cake? The perfect balance of the sour of the citrus and sweetness of the icing. Anyway, here's a story behind this Citrus Poppy Seed Cake, I specially baked this cake for my lovely neighbours, who is currently looking after our house when we are away and have been a great neighbour to us for the past 4 years. The sad news is they decided to sell their house in a few months. So this cake is our appreciation for the last thing they do for us before they move away.

Here's I present you, Citrus Poppy Seed Syrup Cake with Lemon Icing


Citrus Poppy Seed Syrup Cake with Lemon Icing

Citrus Poppy Seed Cake

Ingredients
50g Poppy Seeds
60ml Milk
185g Butter, Softened
1 tablespoon finely grated orange rind
220g Caster Sugar
3 Eggs
225g Self Raising Flour
75g Plain Flour
60g Almond Meal
125ml Orange Juice

Method
1. Combine Seeds and Milk in a small bowl, stand for 20 minutes

2. Preheat oven to 160°. Grease deep 22 cm round cake pan, line base and side with baking paper.

Citrus Poppy Seed Cake

3. Beat butter, rind and sugar in a small bowl with electric mixer until light and fluffy, beat in eggs one at  a time.

Citrus Poppy Seed Cake

4. Transfer mixture to a large bowl using wooden spoon, stir in flours, almond meal, juice and poppy-seed mixture. Spread mixture into pan, bake about 1 hour.

Citrus Poppy Seed Cake

Okay, I must admit for some reason, the cake turned out like an evil face. I promise I wasn't planning to do so. Therefore, the icing on the top would be a great idea to cover it.


Orange Syrup

Ingredients
220g Caster Sugar
160ml Orange Juice
80ml Water

Method
Using wooden spoon stir ingredients in small sauce pan over heat, without boiling, until sugar dissolves. Bring to boil, reduce heat, simmer, uncovered, without stirring for 2 minutes.

Stand Cakes in a pan 5 minutes, before turning. Pour hot syrup over hot cake.

Citrus Poppy Seed Cake


Lemon Icing

Ingredients
50g Salted Butter
60 g Icing Sugar
2-3 tablespoon lemon juice
35g walnuts, chopped

Method
Combine Butter, sugar and lemon juice in a bowl and beat with an electric mixer until pale and fluffy. Spread over the top of the cake and sprinkle with walnuts. Yum..

Citrus Poppy Seed Cake

Citrus Poppy Seed Cake

Here's for closer look

Citrus Poppy Seed Cake



5 comments :

  1. This looks like a great treat for the afternoon. I love all that frosting on top of it. It adds a great touch. I have a sweet treat linky party going on at my blog and I'd like to invite you to stop by and link this up.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sounds and looks like the perfect cake! I can imagine having a piece of this with a cup of tea in the afternoon =)

    ReplyDelete
  3. This looks absolutely mouth-watering, I must try it out! Lemon frosting... drool...

    ReplyDelete
  4. AHH...I can smell the smell of this lemony ...poppyseed cake. Great combination! Must be a hit !

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thank You all for your sweet comments..:)))

    ReplyDelete

Comments are moderated and will be published ASAP. If you are viewing this on your phone, you might have to click the Preview button before posting your comment.

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...