Friday, April 29, 2011

Dadar Gulung (Pandan Crepes with Coconut Stuffing)

Dadar Gulung

My old time favourite childhood snacks. Oh boy.. I still remember those days eating so many of these for after school treats.. This dish was the beginning of my love for coconut and my addiction or Pandan leaf. It has been 2 months since I came back from my hometown in Indonesia, as always it takes quite sometime for me to settle back in Melbourne again, even though I have been living away from home for the past 14 years. How weird is that? I miss my family, friends, food, ohh food..

We call this dish "Dadar Gulung", which means Pandan Crepes with Coconut Stuffing. In the meantime, while I'm still settling back here, let me have some nostalgic moment and a bite of Dadar Gulung.


Dadar Gulung (Pandan Crepes with Coconut Stuffing)

Dadar Gulung


Pandan Crepes Ingredients
150g Flour
1/4 teaspoon Salt
1 Egg, lightly beaten
85ml Fresh Milk
1/2 teaspoon Pandan Extract from 5 Pandan Leaves
250ml Water
2 teaspoon Melted Butter or Oil


Coconut Filling Ingredients
300g Shredded Coconut
375ml Water
3 Pandan Leaves
1 teaspoon Sugar
1 teaspoon Cornstarch
1/4 teaspoon Salt

Method
1. To make batter, mix the flour and salt together in a bowl, add the egg, milk, pandan extract and water. Stir until batter is smooth. Add the butter or oil and mix well. Cover and allow the batter to stand for 20 to 30 minutes.

Dadar Gulung

2. Place all the sweet coconut filling ingredients in a saucepan and simmer over low heat, stirring occasionally for about 30 minutes until thick and almost dry. Remove from heat, transfer to small bowl and set aside to cool. Then discard the pandan leaves.

Dadar Gulung

3. To cook Pandan Crepes, grease pan with a little butter and spoon 3 tablespoon of the batter onto the pan. Cook over low heat until the crepes sets and browns. Flip the crepes over and cook over a few seconds. Remove from the heat and set aside on a plate.

4.  To serve, place 2 tablespoon of the filling on one side of each crepes, fold the sides in and roll up.

Dadar Gulung

5 comments :

  1. Looks so yummy and interesting. I'll try this recipe.
    How hard is this to make?
    Thank you so much

    ReplyDelete
  2. we make similar looks fabulous and delicious

    ReplyDelete
  3. That looks so yummy I could it the screen !!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I'm so glad I stumbled upon this recipe for pandan crepes... When I recently went to the Indonesian Satay Festival in Box Hill I had one of these to eat and loved it - but didn't know what they had inside exactly. Thank you for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thank you guys for the lovely comments.. Happy to share..:)))

    ReplyDelete

Comments are moderated and will be published ASAP. If you are viewing this on your phone, you might have to click the Preview button before posting your comment.

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...