Monday, September 26, 2011

Spring Themed Cake (1 Year Blog Anniversary and Product Review)

Spring Theme Cake

This week I marked one year since I started this blog. How fast the time flies! Looking back a year ago,  I remember I kept staring to the blank white screen, thinking about the words I would share with the world. Oh memories... This blog has been a big part of my life ever since... Thank You to my lovely reader who have been supported for the past year. 

Spring Theme Cake

Spring Theme Cake

For celebrating my one year blog, Kitchenware Direct generously gave me Nordic Ware Heritage Bundt Pan to product test. I own few bundt cake pan before but I must say that is nothing like this nordic ware product, not only they create one impressive looking cake, they are also made from thick cast iron which will last long and keep the cake moist and give a nice crust on the outside. I was actually worried at first that the cake would stick into the pan (like my other bundt pan) when I turned them on the wire rack, in fact the cake was easily slid out of the pan, they are just simply gorgeous with deep ridges and swirling design. This explains a lot that the nordic ware products are selling very well in kitchenware direct with their high quality reputation.


Spring Theme Cake

I decided to bake the orange and poppy seed cake for my first nordic ware bundt pan. The cake alone without the glaze and the spring decoration have already giving the "WOW" factor and beautiful presentation on the dining table. Since this week is my blog birthday and it's a spring time here in Australia, so I thought that I add a spring theme with lots of colour to the cake. The result of this cake when they came out from the oven are amazing! I felt like I was a little girl on the christmas morning when I unmold the cake from the pan and feeling stunned on how the cake was turned out! My next cake project for this pan is butterscotch cake or coffee cake or gingerbread cake? Ooh.. Many to choose from.. For sure, I definitely going to use this pan for many cakes to come.

Orange and Poppy Seed Cake with Lemon Glaze

Spring Theme Cake

Ingredients
200g Unsalted Butter, plus extra for greasing
225g Self Raising Flour, plus extra for dusting
200g Caster Sugar
4 Large Eggs
2 tablespoon Milk
Grated zest of 2 Oranges
2 tablespoon Poppy Seeds

Method
1. Preheat the oven to 160º. Grease and flour the base and sides of the pan. Ensure all the ingredients are at room temperature. Put all the ingredients into a large bowl and beat with whisk for 8-10 minutes. Pour the mixture into the prepared tin.

2. Bake for 25-35 minutes until the cake has shrunk away from the sides of the tin and is springy to the touch. Leave to cool in the pan for a few minutes before turning out onto a wire rack to cool completely.

Spring Theme Cake

3. Cover with lemon glaze icing and decorate (if you wish) or you can serve with the icing alone.

Spring Theme Cake


Lemon Glaze Icing

Ingredients
Juice of 2 Lemons
500g Icing Sugar, sifted

Method
1. Pour the Lemon Juice into a medium bowl and add the icing sugar a spoonful at a time, stirring well to remove any lumps.

2. Gently stir the sugar and juice together until you achieve a white icing that is glossy and not dry or stiff. Pour the glaze over the cakes. 

Spring Theme Cake

7 comments :

  1. Hi Paula,

    Congratulations on your blog's 1st anniversary!

    Love the new Flamingpot look. Very vibrant colours !!!!!

    Amazing talent you have shown with this spring creation of yours! Have been enjoying looking at all the cakes and cooking you have put on your blog. So glad to see you securing product from Kitchenware Direct too. Carry on the good work and wish you many ,many years of happy hours in the kitchen!!!

    Love,

    Judy Lim

    ReplyDelete
  2. Awww Mrs Lim..:))) Thank you so much for your lovely sweet comments..:)) Also thanks for being a loyal reader and great support for the past year... For sure, I will have lots of happy and fun hours in the kitchen for many years to come..:)) Will share all of them here in flaming pot..:)))

    ReplyDelete
  3. Happy blogoversary! This cake does have some delicious ingredients and I love how you decorated it. Well done!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Happy Anniversary. It's amazing how much changes in the first year you start blogging. This cake looks like so much fun and perfect for an anniversary :) I was just looking at a bundt pan like this online yesterday lol.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thank You... Hope my review for the bund cake is helpful for you..:))

    ReplyDelete
  6. aaawww pooolll i didn't know you started a food blog!! I want to try your cake! will make some soon :D I love the blog by the way!

    ReplyDelete

Comments are moderated and will be published ASAP. If you are viewing this on your phone, you might have to click the Preview button before posting your comment.

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...